A MASTER THIEF AND HIS GANG
|Voiced By||Kevin Miller (English)|
Takeshi Kusao (Japanese)
Gianmarco Ceconi (Italian)
Cholo Moratalla (Spanish (Spain)
Cedric Dumond (French)
Javier Naldjían (Spanish (Latin America)
|Appears in||PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale|
|Debut||Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus|
"I haven't stolen anything...yet."Sly Cooper, Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Sly Cooper is the main protagonist of the Sly Cooper franchise and is a playable character in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Sly Cooper's rival is Nathan Drake and his randomly generated background is a dark-blue backdrop with searchlights waving back and forth.
STEAL WHAT'S MINE, YOU BETTER EXPECT COMPANY.
A descendant of a line of thieves which stretches back centuries, Sly continues the family tradition with grace and style. With the help of his friends Bentley and Murray, the raccoon has infiltrated even the most heavily fortified locations while making away with treasures thought impossible to steal. Favoring stealth, reconnaissance, and cunning over brute strength, Sly and the Cooper Gang always stay two steps ahead of opponents.
THE LEGACY OF SLY COOPER:
- Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
- Sly 2: Band of Thieves
- Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
The story opens with Bentley showing Sly the Thievius Raccoonus. Shocked to learn the last pages were torn out of the book, Sly sets out to find the perpetrator and recover the lost pages.
Bentley: Sly! Sly! Emergency! This is terrible.
Sly: What? The greatest thieving guide in history suddenly decided to go straight?
Bentley: Look. Here... and here! It's a clean job, there's no doubt about it, very clean, very professional. I wouldn't have caught it myself if I wasn't looking for-
Sly: Bentley! What am I looking at? I don't see anything here.
Bentley: That's just it! They're not there! At least two pages are missing, maybe more.
Sly: Missing? But it's been locked in a vault since we recovered it.
Bentley: Or so we thought! These pages were removed recently, Sly.
Name: Nathan DrakeReason: Sly comes across Nathan Drake, while tracking down the lost pages of the Thievius Raccoonus. He taunts him about his carelessness in handling the pages while Drake responds by putting up his fists and daring Sly to take the pages back from him in a fight.
(Sly is looking below with his binocular while paradrops down)
Sly: Aha. There they are.
Nathan Drake: Man, I'm sure I'm getting closer. If I can just figure out this last bit.
(Sly drops in near Drake.)
Sly: Careful, careful. A real thief would know just how valuable those are.
Nathan Drake: And I suppose you know what they are, huh squirrel boy?
Sly: Sure, they're mine.
Nathan Drake: Really?
Sly: They're definitely not the property of some two-bit treasure hunter who "found" them.
Nathan Drake: Well, it shouldn't be too much trouble for you to take them off me then. Come on.
(Sly spins his cane in his palm and grabbed it as it started to glow along the golden bladed end as Drake prepares to fight.)
Sly, Bentley, and Murray talked about what they did out there. Sly got the pages back, but they've been rewritten in ancient Mesopotamian. The only translator that can translate is in Istanbul. Using the Cooper Van, the gang goes there and use Polygon Man's power to speed the van up.
TranscriptEditSly: What a score!
Bentley: What a lunatic risk! Do you have any idea how many times we almost bought it out there?
Sly: I know how many times we didn't! What a team! You guys were dynamite.
Murray: It's true! Our awesomeness did explode like dynamite in their fat faces!
Bentley: Looks like you picked up a few moves out there.
Sly: Oh, that's not all I picked up. Read 'em and weep, fellas. No... seriously, read them. I can't make heads or tails of them.
Bentley: They've been rewritten in ancient Mesopotamian! The only translator I know of lives in Istanbul.
Murray: Whoa! Check out this speed! I can get us there by midnight! Buckle up, Broncos, the van's running hot!
Quotes and TauntsEdit
You Bore Me: Sly places his cane on the ground and yawns while leaning on it.
Chasing Shadows: Sly says, "Chasing after shadows again?" with his cane over his shoulder.
Better Stay Sharp: Sly steps forward and says, "Better stay sharp while I'm in your view."
- Character Select
- "I'm on the job!"
- "I'm on it!"
- "Let's share this dance!"
- "Glad to drop in!"
- "Slipped right in!"
- Item Pick-Up
- "All right. Let's blow stuff up."
- "I haven't stolen anything... yet."
- "Well, convenient."
- "Adding you to my loot."
- "Thanks, Bentley!"
- "Thank you very much."
- "Handy gadget."
- "Yeah, this will do."
- "Keep the engine running."
- Successful KO
- "Bite the dust!"
- "I'm the thief!"
- "Just the next in line, friend!"
- "Better check your pocket every now and then!"
- "You are stu-pid!"
- "Beaten the stuffing out of you!"
- "Five finger discount!"
- "It's not personal!"
- "Thunder flop!"
- "Look at that ugly mug!"
- "Like stealing from a baby!"
- "I'll be done in no time!"
- "I'd love to stay and chat, but..."
- "Taking you down!"
- "Let's tango!"
- "Don't make yourselves too comfortable around me now."
- "Show me your hand, and I'll show you mine."
- "Got you in the daydream!"
- "You ain't taking me in!"
- "Nice mug!"
- "I love this stuff!"
- "It's on!"
- "Get ready to be robbed!"
- "Anyone up for some exercise?"
- "Ok, let's do this!"
- "I'm going in!"
- "Back to the heist!"
- "A cunning start!"
- "Bentley's right. Time for plan B!"
- Using Unstoppable Ally
- "Glad I could help!" (Murray)
- Using Flying Raccoon
- "This is where things get fun!"
- Using Recon Sly and His Targets
- "Sly, focus on as many targets as possible." (Bentley)
Intros and OutrosEdit
- Glad to Drop In: Sly leaps onto the stage and sticks a three-point landing. He'll say "Glad to drop in." and brings out his cane.
- Back to the Heist: Sly appears in front of the camera, then he ducks down and jumps back in battle position.
- Slipped Right In: Sly teleports, his back turned to the camera, then turns around and says, "Slipped right in."
- Shhhh: Sly sneaks around, then turns to the camera and does a "Shh" gesture.
- Better Luck Next Time: Sly smiles, thumbs up and holds his cane in a sign of victory.
- Thanks for the Dance: Sly jumps, spins, then crosses his arms.
- I Live for This: Sly catches his cane, which he had thrown, then places it on the ground.
- Murray Would Approve: Sly spins his cane.
- If using Better Luck Next Time: Sly frowns, shrugs his shoulders, and begins tapping his foot impatiently while looking at the camera.
- If using Thanks for the Dance: Sly puts a hand behind his neck and looks down.
- If using I Live for This: Sly spins and crosses his arms with a look of disapproval while looking at the camera.
- If using Murray Would Approve: Sly snaps his fingers then looks at the camera in a disappointed manner.
Win: Sly smiles and winks at the camera.
Lose: Sly looks down with a sad and disappointed expression.
Mission accomplished (unlocked at rank 4)
Nimble Champion (unlocked at rank 45)
The default appearance of Sly, based on his appearance in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.
Sly wears his Costume from medieval england. it was essential to the rescue of Sir Galleth Cooper, Sly's ancient ancestor. This costume is currently part of the exclusive preorder costume pack.
Sly wears his thief costume from Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. This costume unlocks at level 10.
- Blue vest and pants, white shirt, and red cap.
- Black vest and pants, red shirt and cap.
- All white outfit
- Dark green vest, pants, and cap, light green shirt
Sly's look when he attempts to rescue his ancestor form jail, available as downloadable content.
- White outfit, black stripes, white sleeves and scarf
- Blue outfit, black stripes, orange sleeves and scarf
- Green outfit, black stripes, yellow sleeves and scarf
- Orange outfit, black stripes, red sleeves and scarf
- Sly is the only character with the inability to block moves. Holding the block button causes Sly to turn invisible until the button is released or Sly is attacked. According to Game Director Omar Kendall, this was done intentionally to help balance his very offensive and tricky playstyle.
- While Sly is performing the teleport, he actually becomes invincible to any attacks/supers until he reappears.
- He can, however, air dodge if he equips the Boots of Hermes.
- Sly is one of six launch characters who recieved a fourth costume through DLC, the other five being PaRappa, Fat Princess, Nathan Drake, Kratos, and Sackboy.
- In stages that have water, instead of swimming, Sly will use his TNT Barrel as a boat and paddle with his cane.
- In the early gameplay footage he actually swam.
- In Sly's series, Sly and his friends can't swim, so the TNT Barrel boat makes sense.
- Murray during Sly's level 1 performs the Elbo El Drop'o Combo from Thieves in Time then performing a Thunder Flop
- Sly is one of three characters whose level 3 super goes into first-person mode, the others being Colonel Radec and Ratchet & Clank.
- Sly's level 3 appears to function similarly to how it was used in Sly 2: Band of Thieves during the Ghost Capture job in episode 5 of A Tangled Web.
- This is Sly's second appearance in a PlayStation crossover with Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank, the first being PlayStation Move Heroes.
- However, the previously said game seems to have no connection to PSASBR.
- Sly is the first of three characters to come from Sucker Punch Productions, the others being Cole MacGrath and Evil Cole.
- However Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time was made by Sanzaru which makes him to come from Sanzaru Games as well.
- Sly Cooper, Sweet Tooth, Dante, Raiden and Isaac Clarke are the only characters whose forms are from their recent game installments; Sly Cooper from Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal (2012), Dante from DmC: Devil May Cry, Raiden from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Isaac Clarke from Dead Space 3.
- Out of those five, Sly and Sweet Tooth are the only first-party characters to do so.
- Some of the noises and grunts he'll make when hit or KO'd are old voice clips from some of the old games. Also, when doing certain actions he'll say lines from previous games such as "I haven't stolen anything... yet."
- In the character select screen, Sly and Nathan Drake are the only rivals whose icons are next to each other.
- Ratchet & Clank and Jak and Daxter are also next to each other in the PS Vita version of the game.
- Some of Sly's voice clips are played at different tone in both versions: in his soft voice in the PS3 version and in his active voice in the PSVita version.
- In his rival cutscene, he isn't holding onto his paraglider when he's parachuting down.
- Sly is the one of only two playable characters who appear in a cel-shaded graphic style, the other being Kat.
- Sly is one of the 4 first-party characters to start on the PlayStation 2, the others being Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Kratos.
- In the game's opening, his cane glows.
- This also occurs in his rival cutscene.
- In the beta for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, one of Sly's alternate colors had a similar appearance to his Jailbird costume.
- All of Sly's costumes come from Thieves in Time
- Sly in Japanese originally was voiced by Tomokazu Seki in the first two Sly Cooper games, though as of the 3rd game and via rerecorded lines in the HD Collection, he is instead voiced by Takeshi Kusao up to this point.
- Coincidentally, Murray's original seiyū, Takashi Nagasako, voiced Donkey Kong and Ganondorf (for one game only) in Super Smash Bros. (a free-floor/Mascot fighter that predates PSASBR). This trait is similar to Kat (who's seiyū voiced another character or two in Smash Bros. as well, and also voiced Constable Neyla in the original JPN version of Sly 2).
- Sly's fourth color for his default costume is based on the unlockable "Ultimate Sly" in Thieves in Time after collecting 15 "Secret Sly Masks".
- Sly's first intro "Glad To Drop In" could be based on his entrance in Sly 2: Band of Thieves on the title screen.
- Sly's fourth intro "Shhhh" may be a reference to El Jefe from Thieves in Time, where El Jefe shushes the camera before stealing Rioichi Cooper's cane and fighting Sly.
- His first outro "Better Luck Next Time" is based on the animation he does when he steals back the Clockwerk Eye from the Contessa in Sly 2: Band of Thieves.
- His second outro's pose after the spin is a reference to the same pose he does after collecting the treasure keys in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus.
- The name of the outro, "Thanks For The Dance" may be a reference to the heist in Episode 2 of Band of Thieves when Sly dances with Carmelita Fox
- All 3 of his taunts could be based on his charsmatic and sauve personality displayed duirng cutscenes when talking with villains from throughout the series.
- His third outro "I Live For This" is directly taken from one of his poses in his Job Complete screen in Thieves in Time.
- His second victory theme "Nimble Champion" is the main theme from Sly 2: Band of Thieves.
- Sly and Nathan Drake are the only rivals who are connected with their intros, with Nathan Drake having taken pages from the Thievius Raccoonus.